Sunday, March 8, 2009

Frozen vs. canned

My family grew up with frozen vegetables: peas, green beans, corn, broccoli, etc. Sterling grew up with canned foods: corn and beans and the like. I'm trying my hardest to convert him to the world of frozen veggies and now that Cami is eating solid foods, I'm trying to work on her too. I thought the green beans and the peas she ate smelled and tasted (yes, I tried them) like the canned version. I nearly gagged feeding them to her, but she seemed to do ok after the initial surprise wore off. So I figured I'd cook some frozen peas and mash them up and see if she like them better. Sadly, our daughter seems to take after her father. It's a sad day in history for frozen veggies.

2 comments:

Jo said...

Can I just say, it's so nice to have a post again. Good job on the brief recap. That's totally what I would have done. :)

Tara said...

don't give up!!! i promise that it's not the flavor she likes, it's the consistency. you can't just mash the frozen stuff. you have to cook it and then puree it with a little water. (think blender or food processor) once it's nice and creamy you can freeze it in ice cube trays. pop the cubes in a freezer bag and voila! a bag of frozen veggies costs the same as 2 jars of baby food (in california at least!) a few other tricks i use. buy the gigantic jar of unsweetened applesauce and freeze in cubes. buy canned pumpkin (not pumpkin pie mix; just plain pumpkin) and freeze in cubes. mash bananas as needed. mash avocados as needed. you can save soooo much money and frozen veggies can come out on top after all.