Wednesday, September 28, 2011

Surprise!

When Sterling got home from work today, he set his lunch cooler down on the counter and told me to look inside. It seemed innocent enough, so I decided to do as he asked. 

Now, I was imaging that the two blue ice packs he uses every day had burst and that the inside of the cooler would just be a mess of blue.

If only.

I leaned in close to the cooler, popped open the lid and was met by this:
I'm proud to say that at least I didn't scream. But I yelped. Just a little. And jumped back. It was definitely not what I was expecting. Frankly, it freaked me out.

Once I'd recovered from the initial shock, I opened the lid again and peeked in. Only to see that the fish was still breathing.

That got me again. IT WAS STILL ALIVE!

I yelped again and jumped back. Thanks for the warning. Sterling laughed pretty hard both times. He says he wishes he had gotten that on video. 'Priceless' he called it. I see nothing funny here.
It was the first catfish that Sterling has ever caught. He was so proud. He let it live for a little longer (while I tried to finished eating dinner.) Then he took it outside, along with Cami and our niece, Beca, and taught them a little about anatomy. Nice, huh? At least it wasn't hands on - for the girls, that is.
I've heard that catfish is good eating, so we'll cook it up in a few days and see. Oh the joys of having a husband who likes to fish.

And terrorize his wife.

2 comments:

Jo said...

I would have shrieked loudly. So way to go just yelping.

Wendi said...

Eww! The still living part would have really creeped me out.