Tuesday, May 18, 2010

Visitor

The last week of April, my best friend from college Melony came to visit me. Sterling was gone to Vernal that whole week, so it gave me something to look forward to. She arrived on Wednesday and left on Sunday. It was great to see her again.

It was actually pretty funny because when she and her husband booked her plane tickets, they booked it to include May 1st, which was their one year anniversary. When I asked them about it later, Melony sheepishly told me that 'they somehow forgot' what that day was. I guess if it's the first time you're celebrating it it might be easy to forget. I was glad she was there to spend time with me though.

We spent our days sitting around, playing with my kids, shopping, talking the usual girl-talk: clothes, men, shoes, cute jeans, work, more clothes, you get the idea. We went down to the BYU bookstore and shopped there a bit and just had fun being together again. I miss having her live close by, there's just something about having a best girl friend near you.

We realized late Saturday night that we hadn't taken any pictures, so these are the ones that she gave me, and coincidentally are the same ones on her blog. That's what you get when you forget a camera.

Not the most flattering picture of me, but she looks great.
Mel went to see her brother and sister-in-law and their kids while she was here, so, I took advantage of her absence. Since she spent her anniversary with me, I made a cake for her. I had to call her mom and husband to see if they remembered what their wedding cake was like, but neither of them could remember what kind of frosting they had. In their defense, Mel and James didn't get more than the 'feed your new spouse' bite of cake, so I don't blame them for not remembering. Afterward we baked the cake, Sterling and I made another dessert to cover the cake smell. Mel has a nose like a hound dog when it comes to cake. (I learned that while we were roommates and I tried to bake a surprise cake for her birthday once. She knew as soon as she walked into the apartment.)
This was the cake. It's likely the nicest looking cake I've ever made. Sad, right? I'm no pastry chef. Her colors were bright pink and green. I didn't have a green flower, so I made one from construction paper. Tacky, I know. But it's the thought that counts.
It was so much fun to see her again. I have the best friend any girl could ask for. I just wish she didn't live all the way in Arizona so I could see her more often. Mel, I love you girl and couldn't ask for more in a friend. You're the best.

1 comment:

James and Melony said...

that was the best cake ever! Especially since I never got my actual wedding cake :) I had a god time to. It's nice to know that not much has changed between us since our college years. I hope our kids wil be best friends too. I bette get on the band wagon then or you'll be done before I start! :) haha....oh good times!